Corporate Social Responsibility
Corporate Social Responsibility has always been an integral part of the Mahindra Group's vision and the cornerstone of our core value of good corporate citizenship.
For us at Mahindra Holidays & Resorts India Ltd., business is not just about profits, but also about conserving the environment, and empowering our stakeholders and communities to Rise.
We have always been at the forefront of taking affirmative action and we aim to positively contribute towards the environmental and socio-economic well-being of communities through our CSR interventions. Over the years, our efforts in Education, Health, and Environment have transformed the lives of thousands of individuals around our resorts.
Our aim is to enhance the quality of life and to enable a happier future by contributing to the development of thriving communities around our resorts.
The Company focuses on three major areas i.e. Environmental Sustainability, Education and Healthcare. Our main focus is on Environmental Sustainability through which we implement projects to protect and conserve the environment around the areas we operate.
Mahindra Hariyali: Under the Mahindra Hariyali programme, over 3,00,000 trees have been
planted all over India in a span of 9 years.
Jal Jivan initiative – Through this initiative, our aim is to help conserve and improve the efficiency of water utilization in water stressed locations around our resorts. Suryodaya: With a focus on renewable energy, solar street lights are installed in dimly lit villages and communities.
- Nanhi Kali: Through Project Nanhi Kali we have provided educational support to more than 5,000 underprivileged girls enrolled in government schools from Grades 1-10.
- Education initiatives: We provide infrastructure Improvement support, provision of books & stationary and also renovate school buildings around our resorts.
- Protection of National Heritage, Art & Culture: Our aim is to promote and revive dying local art and culture of ethnic folk communities. Under this initiative we are supporting a music school that provides training to children in folk music in Jaisalmer.
- Mobile Medical Units: We provide access to medical care facilities to underprivileged communities by the means of Mobile Medical Units.
- Disaster Relief – Our aim is to provide on-ground relief support to affected communities.
- Swachh Bharat – In line with Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, we conduct cleanliness drives Pan India.
- Water and Sanitation – we aim at promoting health and well-being through strengthening access to quality sanitation facilities and education of communities on good hygiene practices.
Through the employee volunteering programme – ESOPs (Employee Social Options Programme), we give our employees the chance to give back to society by volunteering for social and environmental causes. Year on year, we have over 2000 volunteers contributing over 10,000 volunteering hours across various need-based activities in the community.
Sustainability is core to our business at Mahindra Holidays. The Company continues to adopt comprehensive sustainability measures across its resorts. Some of the key initiatives include Carbon Footprint Measurement, the Conservation of Biodiversity, Alternative sources of Energy, Water Conservation and Waste Recycling. The Company recognises the importance of sustainability and is committed to conserve the ecological integrity of its locations through responsible business practices. The green initiatives undertaken by the Company are in alignment with its larger mission of ‘Good Living, Happy Families’.
Mahindra Holidays strives for zero environmental impact in our operations. We have also set clear commitments to use renewable resources, operate more efficiently, achieve zero waste for disposal and improve our water management.
Mahindra Holidays’ Sustainability Commitments
- Mahindra Holidays and Resorts India Ltd is India’s first hospitality company that has signed on both RE100 (Renewable Energy) and EP100 (Energy Productivity), a global campaign led by The Climate Group. In doing so we have reinforced our commitment to achieve our renewable energy and energy productivity targets i.e. run on 100% renewable energy by 2050 and to double our energy productivity by 2030.
- The Company has also committed itself to the EP 100 cooling challenge through which we will monitor the efficiencies of our current air conditioning systems and implement energy efficient solutions.
- We are also setting our Science Based Targets to reduce our greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in line with targets necessary to limit global temperature rise to below 1.5° C.
- We are also committed towards becoming Carbon Neutral by 2040.
- The Company embarked on the ‘Zero Waste to Landfill’ program during the year with a pilot project at its Virajpet resort. Virajpet resort in Coorg, Karnataka became India’s first Zero Waste to Landfill (ZWL) resort.