When people think Tamil Nadu, some of the most common things that come to mind are brilliant temple architecture, an ancient culture stretching back thousands of years, mouth-watering delicacies that celebrate the local ingredients, and the quintessential Indian weather. But what of places like Yercaud? Hill stations within Tamil Nadu always draw perplexed looks from the less travelled visitors, and that is precisely what ensures this hidden beauty remains free of the wrath of hordes of tourists.
This idyllic and peaceful town is situated in the Eastern Ghats, at the height of 1500 meters. This hill station is well connected by road to the major cities of Tamil Nadu, with the town of Salem a mere 22 kilometres away. The weather in Yercaud is usually pleasant all through the year, with maximum temperatures barely exceeding 30 degrees and the minimum being around 13 degrees. Yercaud has a history that spans more than a few thousand years. This is evident from the stone age implements that were discovered at a shrine near the Shevaroy Hills, which is a mere 5 kilometres from Yercaud Lake. But that isn’t all Yercaud has to offer. Since it is situated amongst a forest reserve, it also provides beautiful sightseeing avenues and adventure activities that will thrill the young and restless.
There are many things to do in Yercaud, but here are 7 of the best activities to indulge in when you find yourself in this stunning hill station.
1. The Emerald Lake in Yercaud: One of the most iconic sights in Yercaud, and one that greets each traveller as they enter the town is the Emerald Lake. Of all the hill stations in the South of India, the Emerald Lake is the only natural lake. It boasts of its own shoals and has an unparalleled view alternating between well-maintained gardens and gracefully sloping hills. Boating is a favourite activity on the lake, with boating prices being quite reasonable. However, they take safety precautions seriously, and anyone considering a boat ride here must comply with the rules. Boating is the best thing to do in Yercaud to enjoy the beauty, while slowly paddling on along this scenic lake.
2. Gardens, Parks and Orchidariums: The city of Yercaud shows off its Victorian connection through its plethora of well-maintained parks, gardens and Orchidariums (A garden specifically used to grow orchids). The Deer Park is situated by the lake is home to some deer, sheep and hamsters (albeit they are in cages). There are also swings for children to play on. But do note that the park closes its gates at 5 PM. The Anna Park is a large well-maintained park that is a must-see during May when it hosts a ‘Flower show’. Besides that, it has a lovely Japanese Park within it, which showcases a Japanese Style Garden. Tickets here are priced at Rs 15 for adults, with an additional charge of Rs 10 for taking a camera inside. The Orchidarium, which is run by the Botanical Survey of India, houses an impressive number of orchids, including the rare insect-eating Ladies Slipper. Whether you love flowers or not, it is a sight to behold for anyone.
3. Kiliyur Falls in Yercaud: If you have decided to Visit Yercaud in the monsoon season, then a trek to the Kiliyur falls is something you cannot (and should not) avoid. There is a pathway that lets you go to both, the top and the foot of the falls. It is reasonably safe with iron supports put up along the slightly riskier parts of the path. However, caution is advised for the elderly and the very young. These falls can be accessed during the summers as well, and although they are dry during that time of the year, they still offer a commanding view of the valley below. Visiting Kiliyur falls is the best thing to do in Yercaud for people loving monsoon and waterfalls.
4. Temples to visit in Yercaud: The Shri Raja Rajeshwari temple is a small, yet popular temple that many tourists visit when in Yercaud. It is said to be dedicated to the Goddess of all the Gods from Hindu mythology. There is also a belief that visiting the temple will bring prosperity and wealth! The temple has a charming view of the valley to offer. But if it is gorgeous views that you seek, nothing beats the ancient Shevarayan Temple which is located atop a plateau with an impressive drop on all sides. The town of Yercaud is visible from there as is the nearby settlement of Nagalur.
5. Explore the forest in Yercaud: Yercaud sits right in the middle of a forest reserve and therefore offers many avenues for you and your family to witness nature in her absolute best. There is a Teak forest close by which has been cultivated by the natives with great care. Lose yourself amongst the majestic trees. To double your excitement, take a picnic basket along so that you can spend the day out with the whole family and make it more memorable.
6. Trekking in Yercaud: Yercaud offers so many trekking points that you would probably need a few weeks to explore them all! Trekking is one of the best things to do in Yercaud and is an ideal family activity; it combines great exercise with scenic views. The best part about trekking in this hill station is that it offers treks of different difficulty levels, ensuring that everyone can enjoy them. Some of the more memorable trekking points in Yercaud are Tipperary View Point, Pagoda Point, Ladies Seat, Gent’s Seat, Arthur’s Seat and Heaven’s Ledge.
7. Yercaud Town market: The Yercaud Town market hosts a grand Baazar every Sunday and a smaller one every Wednesday. Be sure to check it out if you want to get fantastic deals on the local produce, which is not only cheap but of quite good quality. This should be one of the last things for you to do on your trip so you can get those goodies back home.
Amongst the many resorts in Yercaud, the best is Club Mahindra Yercaud resort. You can avail a stay here with a Club Mahindra membership and enjoy scenic views and plush rooms with all kinds of essential amenities. Surrounded by spice and coffee plantations, and orchards of oranges and pears, offering beautiful views. More importantly, if you need help with anything in and around the resort, Club Mahindra’s staff will be more than happy to help from suggesting local attractions to booking them. Read any of the countless Club Mahindra reviews that attest to the distance the staff is willing to go to ensure your holiday with Club Mahindra is your most memorable one. Yercaud is one of the best places to visit in Tamil Nadu. Get a detailed information about Tamil Nadu tourism such as best time to visit, places to visit and things to do in Tamil Nadu.