5 Must Visit Places in Ooty While on a Family Vacation
Nestled cosily in the Nilgiri Mountains, Ooty that is fondly known as the ‘Queen of the Hills’ has been a go-to holiday destination of India since the British era.
Nestled cosily in the Nilgiri Mountains, Ooty that is fondly known as the ‘Queen of the Hills’ has been a go-to holiday destination of India since the British era. Its all-year-round favourable and pleasant weather and the mesmerising verdant views instantly allure tourists.
The heavenly views, cascading waterfalls, serene emerald lakes, lush greenery, soaring peaks, aromatic tea estates, picture-perfect backdrops are the perfect recipe for a family vacation. There are plenty of places to visit in Ooty and several spots for sightseeing in Ooty. We have listed some of the best places to visit in Ooty for you to enjoy with your family.
1. Nilgiri Mountain Railway in Ooty- One of the popular places to visit in Ooty during a family vacation, this mountain railway offers breath-taking views and is also a World Heritage Site. It’s a 46-kilometre-long journey, with steep tracks ranging from 300 to 7,200 feet. Beginning from Mettupalayam, it passes through bridges, curves, tunnels and captivating sceneries to eventually reach Ooty in five hours. Tip: For the best views of the landscape, sit on the side of the train that overlooks the valley.
2. Ooty Lake or Pykara Lake – During a family vacation, visiting a lake is a must. Kids can splash around and have fun while the adults can unwind and take in the scenic beauty. Both Ooty Lake and Pykara Lake are popular places to visit in Ooty and offer various activities like paddle boating, picnics, trekking etc.
3. Ooty Botanical Garden – Sprawling over 22 hectares, this garden is a dream for nature lovers and tourists alike. There are several different species of plants here that range from rare to ornamental and exotic. There’s the monkey puzzle tree, cork tree, paper bark tree and even a fossil tree that is 20 million years old. Not only is it a great place for sightseeing in Ooty with your family but also a learning experience for your kids.
4. Rose Garden in Ooty – Spread over 10 acres, this garden has nearly 20,000 plants of 2,241 different varieties. The largest collection of roses in the country can be found here. It’s a delightful experience and a visually pleasing one too. In the end, you can climb up to the viewpoint to get a panoramic view of the entire garden and its bloom.
5. Government Museum in Ooty – You will find some fascinating remnants of tribal art and culture here. A number of sculptural arts, artefacts, crafts made in Tamil Nadu, etc. can be found on display here. As per Club Mahindra reviews, this is a tourist place in Ooty where children will not just be intrigued by the items on display but also will learn about India’s ancient history and local culture.
After a long and tiring day of exploring scenic places, the family can relax and rejuvenate at one of the many Ooty resorts in Tamil Nadu.
We recommend the Club Mahindra Ooty resorts here. You will not just be staying at some of the most scenic properties but you will also have every comfort you seek with the top-notch amenities here.