Stuck in a rut? Bored with routine life? Tempted to head somewhere to refresh your mind? If you answered yes, pack your bags immediately. Travelling imparts a host of experiences that you can cherish for a lifetime, so choose a destination that appeals to you.
As a solo traveller, the destination you prefer might differ from one you choose for a family vacation. Madhya Pradesh is perfect for the latter. Situated in the heart of India, the state is famous for its rich history, culture, tradition, art, and monuments.
Here’s a complete Madhya Pradesh (MP) tourism guide if you’re planning a family vacation in Madhya Pradesh.
Best Time to Visit Madhya Pradesh
You can visit Madhya Pradesh round the year. However, the best time to visit Madhya Pradesh is between October and March, when the weather is cool. During the months of December and January, the temperature can drop to 5 °C, so it’s recommended that you pack some woollen clothes.
How to Reach Madhya Pradesh
You can reach Madhya Pradesh by air, rail, or road. If you prefer to fly, Indore and Bhopal have international airports which see flights come in from a number of cities in India. Major towns are well-connected by trains. Important tourist places of Madhya Pradesh are connected by a network of state highways, so one can get around by bus as well. However, the ideal way to explore the state is by car. Hire a cab or drive your own vehicle.
Places to Visit in Madhya Pradesh
• Gwalior Fort – This fort is an example of a defensive structure built on top of a hill. Since it was ruled by various dynasties, it’s been subjected to various alterations. Monuments inside the fort complex include Teli ka Mandir, Gurudwara Data Bandi Chor, Man Mandir Palace, Gujari Mahal, and Assi Khamba ki Baori. There are some Jain temples too.
• Dhuandhar Falls – As the name suggests, this 30-metre waterfall cascades so rapidly that it gives the impression of generating smoke. One can stand on the banks of the Narmada to take in a panoramic view of the waterfall and listen to the roar it emits. The view is even more stunning in the moonlight.
• Sanchi Stupa – Sanchi is one of the oldest pilgrimage towns in MP. The stupa contains artefacts of the Buddha and his followers. It has been designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. A visit to the stupa will enlighten you about emperor Ashoka, who originally commissioned it in the third century BCE.
• Marble Rocks – Situated alongside the Narmada River, this 8 km long gorge is a prominent tourist attraction in the state. You can hop aboard a cable car or take a boat across the river. This gigantic rock formation with its green and black volcanic ridges is a beautiful sight, especially on a moonlit night.
• Ram Raja Temple – Situated at Orchha, Ram Raja temple is a popular pilgrimage spot. This is claimed to be the only temple in India where Lord Ram is worshipped as a king. Other attractions are Orchha Fort, Jahangir Mahal, Laxmi temple, and Chaturbhuj Temple. Sunset over the Betwa River is another exhilarating experience.
• Bhimbetka Caves – A UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Bhimbetka cave complex spans an area of 45 sq km. This is a natural ‘art gallery’ that houses some prehistoric cave paintings. Bhimbetka also has relics dating back to the era of Gautama Buddha.
• Patalpani Falls – Located in Mhow tehsil of Indore district, this is a fascinating sight but only during the monsoon. In summer the water dries to a trickle. The 300 ft waterfall is the perfect spot for a picnic. Those interested in trekking can find some interesting trails in the vicinity.
• National Chambal Sanctuary – Located on the Chambal river, this wildlife sanctuary spans 5,400 sq km and is protected by three states- Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan. This eco-reserve aims to protect the endangered red-crowned roof turtle and the Ganges river dolphin. It offers tourists boat excursions and walking trails, which are great for spotting the different species of birds and animals here.
Things to Do in Madhya Pradesh
• Wildlife Safari – If you love wildlife, this state has a number of national parks where you can watch some of India’s most majestic beasts in their natural habitat. From tigers to elephants, leopards to different species of birds, there is a plethora of stunning sights that Madhya Pradesh holds. Some of the best places to go on a wildlife safari here are Kanha National Park, Satpura National Park, Bandhavgarh National Park and Sanjay National Park, amongst others.
• Hiking/ Trekking – Thanks to its abundant nature trails, lush green forests and beautiful waterfalls, the state is a hiker’s paradise. A trek to Dhoopgarh – Madhya Pradesh’s highest peak – is a must for any adventurer. If you are looking for something more daring, try the Kalakund Night Trek, which takes you through jungles and rivers. It’s an experience you won’t forget.
• Explore the Cuisine – One thing you simply cannot miss out on when visiting Madhya Pradesh is exploring the state’s delectable, authentic Malwi cuisine, particularly in cities like Indore, Ujjain, Bhopal and Ratlam. Lavang lata, Biryani, Indori puri palak, kebabs and balfas are some of the dishes you must try. You certainly will not regret it.
• Water Sports – If indulging in water sports is your kind of adventure, the state has quite a bit to offer. From parasailing to rafting, jet skiing and speed boat rides to banana boat rides, you can indulge in some fun activities. Popular places to try these sports include Upper Lake, Pachmari, Shivpuri, Choral Dam, Orchha and many others.
Where to Stay in Madhya Pradesh
Madhya Pradesh has several affordable resorts and hotels close to all the tourist attractions. If you’re visiting in the holiday season, you should book in advance to save money as prices can soar sky-high. For the best experience, stay at the Club Mahindra Kanha resort when holidaying here. Located at the fringes of Madhya Pradesh's dense forests, it close to the Kanha National Park. Club Mahindra resorts offer a wide range of recreational activities such as camping, nature walk, arts and crafts, and swimming pools.
These are just a few of many attractions that Madhya Pradesh has to offer tourists. Apart from these, the state is brimming with historic forts, religious temples, and more that can interest all kinds of travellers. So, why not plan a family vacation to Madhya Pradesh with Club Mahindra Membership? The experience will enlighten you about the rich history and culture of the state. And to get a glimpse of how much our members enjoy their Club Mahindra Holidays, have a look at these Club Mahindra reviews by happy members.