Tourist Places in Dehradun – Know What Is Best
Lying between the Himalayan and Shivalik foothills is India's most scenic city, Dehradun. Somewhat famous for its picturesque landscape and unequalled mountainous terrain, the capital city of Uttarakhand has been rapidly gaining popularity amidst holiday-goers all over the world.
With the myriad of hidden treasures that the city houses, Dehradun tourism is on an all-time high. Ranging from caves, markets, temples, waterfalls, medicinal springs, mountains, and rivers, you will never be in shortage of things to do in Dehradun.
Whether you are a nature-lover, activity junkie, or a culture buff, there will be a place for you to visit or things for you to do in this Northern capital. Its location in the Doon valley, tucked between both prolific Indian rivers, Ganges and Yamuna, gives it a milder climate. This ensures an abundance of places to visit in Dehradun. Some include;
1) Ancient Robbers Cave – Pristine and peaceful, witness a natural miracle and Robber’s cave located around 7 km from the city. It is a 600 meters long naturally formed cave through which a river gushes by, making it a perfect spot for picnics. What makes this unique is the wonderfully weird stream that appears and reappears in bouts.
2) Malsi Deer Park – Many Dehradun travel guides might have mentioned this wildlife picnic spot, which is riddled with water bodies. Getting in touch with flora and fauna, which is plush with a lush green landscape, is a visual treat. In addition to deer, there are some exotic birds as well.
3) Clock Tower – With its history going back as far as its inception in 1948, this clock tower is a famous sight to see. It currently doesn't work, but Dehradun tourism is high on this monument as it brings in hoards of visitors trying to understand the making of this marvelous piece in addition to appreciating the architecture of that era.
4) Tapovan Temple – Perched upon the banks of river Ganga, this golden temple also comes with great historical value. It is surrounded by a thicket along with the free-flowing river making it a perfect spot for meditation and yoga along with some peace.
5) Tibetan Market – No trip is complete without some retail indulgence, and the Tibetan market is one of the many popular tourist places in Dehradun. Situated on Parade Ground Road, these markets are known for locally sourced and made woolen clothes. Colorful and vibrant, the Tibetan community showcases its culture in handicrafts, Garhwali jewelry, and souvenirs.
6) Tiget View Jungle Camp – Spotting our largest and internationally famous wild cat is on the bucket-lists for most animal enthusiasts. Located in a place called Goolar Khalla, this camp provides you with the opportunity to see tigers in their natural habitat.
7) Mussoorie Mall Road – The famous mall road is one of the most popular tourist places in Dehradun and attracts a large number of crowds. Ranging from clothes, shoes, bags, souvenirs, handicrafts, and many other items, it is a great place to lighten your pockets and disembark into some retail indulgence. In addition to that, there are stalls of street food all over, which allows you to try out some of the local delicacies.
8) Har Ki Dun – If you are a fan of snow-capped peaks amidst a smooth terrain, this is the place for you. Get your trekking gear out and head over to Har Ki Dun. It is located in Sankri, which is a 7-8 hours road trip from Dehradun. The stunning hike up to the peak is one of the most coveted things to do in Dehradun.
9) Rajaji National Park – Practically heaven on earth, Rajaji National park is a must-visit for those who would enjoy wildlife in its truest form. Home to over 400 species of birds and exotic animals including tigers, cheetahs, leopards, King cobras, sloth bears, pythons, monitor lizards, and many more, take the wildlife safari to view them. Immerse yourself into the wilderness in this park with your family and friends for creating a lifetime of memories.
10) Tiger Falls – As majestic as the name suggests, Tiger falls boast of enveloped natural grandeur and is nestled in a place called Chakrata. If you don't mind a bit of travel, this is an ideal hidden gem within Dehradun's proximity. It takes around 5 hours to trek up to from the base. Cascading from a height of 50 meters, observe this fall first hand. Surrounded by calm greenery, you can try your hand at photography to get award-winning photos.
These are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to tourist places in Dehradun. There are many more unique and exotic sights and locations in and around this hilly metro. When you land there, you will be spoilt for choice with the places to see and activities to engage in.
Practically charming in every season, the city is an all-year-round destination. However, Dehradun tourism sees a larger influx of visitors in preferable weather conditions.
Summer – The months of March to June welcome a pleasant climate, resulting in more outdoor activities and clearer skies. This is also a great time to engage in adventure sports amid heavenly natural landscapes. Temperatures range between 17 degrees to 35 degrees centigrade, making this time of the year most favorable to visit tourist places in Dehradun.
Monsoon – Kicking in during July, August, and September, the city shimmers in lush green bliss. The rain-washed splendor makes Dehradun tourism even more appealing to those who enjoy this type of climate.
Autumn – October to February marks the Autumn season, and the temperatures start to drop a little. It is also a great time, and travelers tend to flock off to various places to visit in Dehradun that have a bucket load of activities to indulge in. This season is also comparatively inexpensive, and one can use that to their advantage.
Winter – December to February marks the winter season, and temperatures drop down quite drastically. Usually down to 3 degrees centigrade, this season is not for those who can’t handle the cold. However, for those who live in hot and humid cities, and are looking for some much needed cooling relief, this is a good time.
To see this small but captivating hill town, you have to get there first. Luckily, getting to the various tourist places in Dehradun is relatively hassle-free.
Named Jolly Grant, the local airport in Dehradun is only 31 km away from the city. It has great connections to almost all the metros within India and also has good international accessibility. Once there, hailing a taxi is easy, and you can be on your way.
Located only 2 km from the city, the railway station is an excellent way to get to the city. It has daily connectivity to most of the major metros in India, such as Mumbai, Kolkata, Delhi, Allahabad, and Lucknow to name a few.
Conveniently well-connected by road with all the major cities and towns of North India, road travel is a good option for those who like long drives. In addition to self-drive possibilities, the State offers buses as well as taxis from most of the cities in Uttarakhand and Delhi.
When it comes to high end luxury for economic pricing, Club Mahindra is the star of them all. Offering great accommodation facilities, some resorts in Dehradun and near it include;
1) Club Mahindra Musoorie – With 1 bedroom apartments and warm studios, every room in this property overlooks a beautiful view. The entire property consists of a hilly construction amidst the lush greenery and is right on Mall road in Mussoorie. It also has a lovely in-house restaurant which offers multi-cuisine delicacies.
2) Club Mahindra Kanatal – With a pool, spa, recreation area and beautiful rooms, this resort in Dehradun is fairly new and luxurious. The rooms have balconies overlooking a breathtaking view while the friendly staff is always ready to help in every way.
Travelers often visit Dehradun for its Himalayan grandeur and pleasant climate. However, what it is best known for is the food. Ranging from traditional Tibetan cuisine to the quintessential north Indian dishes, some of the must-try food items are listed below;
* Chilly momos – Steamed dumplings served with a thick and spicy gravy, this item is just heavenly.
* Milk Rusks – Commonly consumed with tea and coffee, these crispy, yet soft rusks are available at almost all the famous bakeries all over the city.
* Butter Toffees – Following an influential bakery culture, these little indulgent sweets are a must-try for anyone who visits.
* Noodle soup – Often during the colder weather period, usually considered the best time to visit Dehradun, local street food stalls make different concoctions of the nationally loved Maggi noodles.
* Kafuli – With a thick gravy, this dish is prepared with spinach and fenugreek leaves. It has altered into different ingredients over time, but traditionally, these two ingredients are used.
* Chainsoo – Mainly made from lentils, this item is a protein-rich soup and is best eaten with rice.
* Phanu – Quite similar to Chainsoo, this dish is made from lentils of a different kind. Typically, this is more forgiving to those who have sensitive stomachs as it is healthy and light.
* Baadi – This item is made from Kwada flour and is usually eaten with the famous lentil curries. It is a type of bread accompaniment.
* Dubuk – Usually consumed during winters, this is also a lentil preparation and is eaten best with steamed rice.
Many of these items are common in local restaurants in Dehradun, whereas, for some others, you might have to dig deeper. You can also attend one of the many food tasting tours conducted, especially for tourists to engage in these food items. However, locals, there are friendly and will guide you to the best places to experience these items.
Just as the food is a no-brainer in the city, the restaurants in Dehradun are famous and well-equipped to serve the best food items. Let’s take a look at a few must-try restaurants in Dehradun, which include both street food and excellent dining options.
1) K.C Momos and Soup Bar
2) The Buffet Snacks shop
3) Bun Tikki Wala
4) Chakarata Road street stand – Madrasi dosa
5) Bobby fast food corner
6) Maggi points – Mussoorie Mall road
7) Kumar sweets
8) Gaylord icecream parlous
9) Chetan pooriwala
10) The Terrace – Four Points by Sheraton
12) Kalsang Ama cafe
13) Malabar restaurants
14) The 3 Pines cafe
15) Zen Panda
For some utter gastronomic indulgence and couch inducing food comas, Dehradun is the right place for all foodies.
It is relatively obvious that Dehradun tourism is on an all-time high and it caters to local, national as well as international tourists daily. With fun, food, and activities comfort. No holiday is complete without some spoiling, and Dehradun resorts are fully equipped to cater to this need.
Uttarakhand's capital city is home to thousands of hotels and resorts, including bed and breakfasts, as well as hostels and homestays. Mentioned below are a few of the most popular accommodations in Dehradun.
Those on shoestring budgets do not need to worry. There is an array of economically priced accommodations in the city such as;
1) Horizon Homestay
2) Shivan Guesthouse
3) OYO rooms
4) Hotel Abhinandan Grand
5) Treebo Trend Blessing Bells
For the travelers that like to indulge in some extra frills but still not break the bank, some popular accommodations include;
1) Treebo Trend Ajanta Continental
2) Hotel Skyking
3) Inderlok hotel
4) Treebo Trend Grand Legacy
Luxury seekers are plentiful, and Dehradun tourism ensures that such facilities be available. Some of the most high-end Dehradun resorts include;
1) Ramada by Wyndham
2) Lemon Tree Hotel
3) Regenta LP Vilas
4) Hotel Saffron Leaf
5) Four Points by Sheraton
Once you cover the luxurious hotels, scrumptious food, mind-boggling sites, and the serenity of nature, there is still another aspect you can cover – activities. Ranging from a variety of excursions, mentioned below are some you can engage in;
9)Off-beat camps and treks
Whether you are a leisure traveler or there for a short-term visit, you will never run out of things to do or see in this marvelous city. Pride and joy of the Himalayas, tourist places in Dehradun are beautifully adorned by the magnificence of nature.
Mahindra Holidays & Resorts India Limited (MHRIL), India’s leading player in the leisure hospitality industry, offers quality family holidays as also stated by Club Mahindra Resort Reviews, primarily through vacation ownership memberships. While Club Mahindra Membership Fees gives you opportunity to explore your holidays across world, the other brands offered by the company are – Club Mahindra Resorts Fundays and Svaastha Spa. As on Mar 31, 2019, MHRIL has 61+ resorts across India and abroad and its subsidiary, Holiday Club Resorts Oy, Finland, a leading vacation ownership company in Europe has 33 resorts across Finland, Sweden and Spain. Visit us at www.clubmahindra.com