Shared by Janki on 18 January 2022
Bhutan is a very nice neighboring county to visit. It is connected with India by Road and Air. If you go by road and visit Bhutan then you can enter Bhutan from West Bengal or Sikkim. If you going by air then Bhutan has only one airport “Paro International Airport”. Indian citizens do not require Visa for traveling to Bhutan. Indian Rupees are also valid in Bhutan except for 500 Rs. note.
The majority of debit cards are not accepted in Bhutan. Plz see the instructions on your debit cards. Thimpu is the capital city of Bhutan. It is 2.5 hrs. drive from Paro International Airport. Club Mahindra has an affiliated property at Thimpu. It is a hotel-type property. The Hotel is located on the main road near the market. The market is at walking distance from the hotel.
There are many places to be visited keeping your base at Thimpu. Some of the places are as under
1) Kuensel Phodrang – It is the place for refreshing with a huge statue of Buddha on the top. The statue houses over one hundred thousand smaller Buddha statues. It’s a very big statue constructed in memory of 60th anniversary of fourth king Jigme Singye Wangchuck. The statue is made up of Bronze and glided with Gold.
2) National Memorial Chorten – Memorial Chorten is also known as Thimphu Chorten. It is a stupa in Thimphu. The Stupa was built in 1974. It is the most religious visiting place in Bhutan.
3) Folk Heritage Museum – It is also known as “Phelchey Toenkhyim”. The museum gives you a glimpse of the traditional Bhutanese lifestyle, in addition to artifacts from rural households; it also displays an impressive collection of typical household objects, tools, and equipment. There is a unique restaurant inside the museum serving the typical Bhutanese food. The food is o.k. but you can taste local dishes over here.
4) Changangkha Monastery – It is one of the oldest and beautiful monasteries. The view of Thimpu valley from the temple is amazing.
5) Motithang Takin Preserve – Takin is the national animal of Bhutan. The please is wildlife reserve area of this national animal. You can see it over here this animal. There is a restaurant also inside the zoo.
6) Sangaygang View Point – Among Thimphu’s many tourist attractions is the BBS Tower, also known by the name Sangaygang. Bhutan Broadcasting Service (BBS)runs the radio and television network of the country and has a telecommunication tower built on the hilltop. It is located at 2685m and offers a view of the entire Thimphu valley. The place is best enjoyed during the evening when the sun is setting and the whole city is lighting up.
7) Dochula pass - It is located on the way to Punakha from Thimphu. The pass is a popular location among tourists as it offers a stunning 360-degree panoramic view of the Himalayan mountain range. The view is especially scenic on clear, winter days with snowcapped mountains. You can have your coffee break over here in the beautiful restaurant located just on the peak.
Now coming to food. Food is not an issue in Bhutan. You can get very good Pizza, Pasta and Sandwiches. The Club Mahindra Resort/hotel provides a good healthy food of Roti, various subji, dal, rice and some Indian sweets. There are many restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. Plz. try local Bhutanize dishes like EMA DATSHI - made up of cheese and chilly, KEVA DATSHI – made up of Potatoes and cheese, SHAMU DATSHI – made up of Cheese and Mushroom, SHAKAM EMA DATSHI – made up of dried beef, SHAKAM PAA – made up of dried beef and chilies and radish. There are many more dishes. To summarize Thimpu is really a good place to visit in Bhutan. You can experience visiting abroad in a very cheap budget.
You just earned