Places to Visit in Srinagar | Srinagar Tourist Places
Srinagar, also known as the summer capital of India, is the largest city that is located in Jammu and Kashmir. The name of the city has been derived from two Sanskrit works namely “sri” which means sun and “Nagar” which means city. It is located near the Kashmir valley on the banks of the Jhelum River. The city is known for its flora and fauna along with the waterfronts and the beautiful houseboats it has. No wonder for it is also known as the paradise of Earth. Further, the traditional handicrafts and dried fruits available in Srinagar are also a unique attraction. Srinagar is a city with pleasant climate, and the best time to visit Srinagar would be anytime between the months of April to October. The flowers of the city blossom during these months, making the place haven-like for all its residents, tourists and visitors. Besides, these months are when there are various amazing activities that one can do and get new experiences from.
The city being located amidst forests, mountains and lakes, there are so many places to visit in Srinagar that are astounding and can make you feel like you are in utopia. The city lies on an elevation of 5,200 feet on the banks of Jhelum River, making the weather of the city so pleasant and cool to enjoy.
Srinagar has a flight trip from Delhi, and also direct flights are available from places including Bangalore, Kolkata, Lucknow, Ahmedabad, Jammu, Amritsar, Mumbai and Chandigarh. From the airport there is a bus service provided by Jammu and Kashmir Road Transport Corporation.
Club Mahindra has resort in Srinagar that are comfortable and convenient to stay at. Club Mahindra ensures to help you book a room according to the number of members of the trip, and at your ease. The places offered by Club Mahindra for stay in Srinagar are beautiful and soothing. Houseboats are also available to be book at Club Mahindra. Also, Club Mahindra conducts many indoor activities making the stay of visitors of Srinagar enjoyable. Besides, Club Mahindra rooms, resorts or houseboats are also at affordable prices. One of the most beautiful such resort affiliated to Club Mahindra in Srinagar is R K Sarovar which offers a Kashmiri way of life to all the tourists who stay in the resort.
The Srinagar travel guide is extensive and beautiful because of the number of places to visit in Srinagar. There are various places to visit in Srinagar to enjoy your vacation. They include the following:
1) Dal Lake: The Dal lake which is over 26sq. Km. is one of the biggest attractions in the city which is so calm, beautiful and serene. It is also rightly known as the jewel of Srinangar.
2) Mughal Gardens: The garden was built during the Mughal era and its brilliant architecture enthralls the sight of all those who view it. The most beautiful part of this garden, though, is the water fountains. The place is dream-like to stand in and view.
3) Shalimar Bagh: The garden of Shalimar Bagh was also made during the Mughal era. Mughal emperor Jahangir laid down this beautiful garden with his tastefulness for the way the garden must look. Till today, it is one of the important tourist attractions in the city.
4) Nishant Bagh: The garden of Nishant Bagh was laid down in 1633, and is also known as the Garden of Joy. The beauty of the garden is difficult to be defined in words for it safeguards rare flowering plants, 12 terraces, long avenues of Chinar and Cypress trees, and various mind boggling fountains.
5) Hazratbal Shrine: mosque of Hazratbal is located on the western shore of the Dal Lake. The mosque is considered to be sacred and is one of the places of worship of those who follow the Islamic religion. The sacredness of the mosque is due to the belief that one of Prophet Muhammad’s heirs title Moi-e-Muqqadas’s artefact is safeguarded there. The artefact is not displayed to the public except on special occasions. The beauty of the mosque can be better enjoyed while its white-marbled reflection falls on the waters of Dal Lake making the place seem so ethereal.
6) Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden: The view of the garden is majestic with the Zabarwan Hills in its background, and with beautiful Tulip flowers flowing through the lands of the place. The beauty of the flowers in different colours makes every tourist to want to stay there forever and just gaze at the flowers.
7) Char Chinar: The place is also known as the island in the city that marks Dal Lake. The Chinar trees portray beauty in a way that only the viewers can feel, but cannot express in words.
8) Shankaracharya Temple: The temple is not only a spiritual place to make wishes and pray for, but is also a splendid place which is roughly 1100 feet on the south-east of the city. The view from the temple shows mountains of Pir Panjal range, and the valley.
9) Wular Lake: Another beautiful lake that is the Wular Lake is India’s largest freshwater lake which also serves as a natural reservoir for the River Jhelum. The lake is a podium to gaze at special species of beautiful birds which indeed is a treat to the eyes.
10) Baramulla: The place is close to Srinagar, and is attractor for its greenery. The green surrounding is spectacular for all those who view the place.
11) Yusmarg: The hill station in Jammu and Kashmir is so peaceful and calm as the numbers of people that visit the place are less. The place is away from all the stress and tiresome work that anyone might have. Sitting there to just watch the view feels like a technique of meditation.
12) Jasmia Masjid, Srinagar: The Masjid is one of the most sought after places to visit in Srinagar . It is ancient and the biggest mosques in the state of Jammu and Kashmir. The mosque is so calm and peaceful to sit, pray and meditate.
13) Challi Point: The place is a point with Dal Lake on its background where tourists often visit to sit and have conversations while being surrounded by the lake.
14) Nehru Garden: The garden has the best view of the Dal Lake. It is a place to relax or to just chill and have fun.
15) Pari Mahal: The place is also known as house of fairies. The place is also surrounded by a huge beautiful garden and was initially e a Buddhist monastery. Further on, it started serving as a school of astrology that was promoted by the eldest son of Shah Jahan Dara shikoh.
16) Chashm-E-Shahi: The garden is filled with fountains all around in this famous for the natural spring that occurs in the place.
17) Nagin Lake: the lake is located about 6 kilometre from the city of Srinagar. It is also known as jewel in the ring and it is thinly separated from the dal Lake.
18) Chinar Park: the place is filled with old Chinar trees flowers and many musical fountains that attract tourists and visitors from various places. The place is also a good picnic spot you’re your friends or family. There are also various cultural programs and swings that make the park so unique.
19) Dachigam National Park: the meaning of name the park Dachigam is 10 villages. The national park was initially constructed for providing drinking water supply of the town; however, today it is a home tour number of wildlife species.
20) Khaqah of Shah Hamdan: The place is built on the banks of Jhelum river, and is known for the activity that takes place on the death anniversary of Mir Syed Ali Hamdani.
21) Anantnag: The place is also known as the capital of commerce of Jammu and Kashmir, and consists of wonderful places of worship of both Islamic people and the Hindus.
22) Charar-i-Sharif: The Islamic holy place is a dedication to Hazrat Sheikh nor-ud din Wali which is about 30km away from the city of Srinagar. He is known to be the first in the valley to follow the path of non-violence, vegetarianism, and to propagate communal peace.
23) Sri Pratap Singh Museum: The museum is home to historical terracotta that are centuries old. There is a Buddhist site at the terracotta which is also believed to be ancient.
24) Kheer Bhawani Temple: The temple is dedicated to Goddess Paravathi, and is situated in a village known as Tul Mulla that is near Srinagar.
25) Badamwari Garden: The garden is beautiful serene surrounding that helps soothe minds. It is located over the hills of Koh-e-Maran with splendid-looking bushes and shrubbery.
26) Apple Orchards: The place filled with green orchards and rivers is remarkable for the beauty it showcases.
27) Chatti Padshahi Gurudwara: The place is probably the largest gurudwara of the Sikhs in Kashmir. The holy place also offers accommodation facilities and food for its worshippers and visitors.
28) Burzhama Ruins: The excavation site is an important archaeological place that consists of various evidences relating to settlements about centuries ago. The evidences include skeleton remains and pottery artifacts.
29) Makhdoom Sahib Shrine: The Islamic holy place of worship dedicated to a Sufi saint Sheikh Hamza Makhdoom or Makhdoom Saheb. The structure is constructed in the style followed by the Mughals, and it rests on plenty of pillars constructed therein.
30) Kathi Darwaza: The place is the main entrance gate to the Hari Prabat Fort in the city of Srinagar. The gate was constructed by the Mughals and has minute inscriptions relating to the Mughals and Persians.
Apart from the beautiful places to visit in Srinagar, there are also various activities that visitors may undertake to do in the paradise-like city. Few of them are as follows:
1) Boating: The boating experience at Srinagar in the Dal Lake or the Wular Lake would be a memorable one given the peace and serenity that one can feel while in the middle of the waters. Further, the beauty of viewing some amazing places from the Lakes of Srinagar like Char Chinar is marvellous.
2) Spending time in the Shikaras: Shikaras are houseboats where one can stay and enjoy the view of the Dal Lake. Staying amidst waters in a houseboat is a great way of enjoying the beauty of nature, and to experience tranquillity.
3) Trout Fishing: Trout fishing is one of the most amazing activities in Srinagar which you can experience if you visit the city between t he months of April and September.
4) Trekking: Trekking is one of the most exciting and adventurous activities to do either when you are with your family, friends or even alone. Beyond the beauties that Srinagar portrays; there also various places in the Kashmir Valley where you can trek and have some fun. Two famous places to trek in Srinagar include the Shankaracharya Hill and Hari Prabat.
5) Skiing: Visitors who visit Srinagar between November and March could get an opportunity to try skiing. Skiing is an amazing experience that is fun-filled and enjoyable.
6) Paragliding: Yet another adventure sport activity that one needs to experience while visiting the city of Srinagar is paragliding. Given the view of the city and its beauty, one can enjoy its view to the fullest while paragliding.
7) Experiencing new cuisines: What is the fun about visiting a new place without getting a taste of its food and culture! One must taste the various kinds of dishes and the local cuisine of Srinagar at popular places in the city. The restaurants in Srinagar will help you in savoring the diet of Srinagar
8) Shopping: There are beautiful things available for purchase in the city of Srinagar. There are various amazing-looking jewelry, watches and clocks, items of pottery and a lot of other stuffs that you can buy for your friends, family or for yourself as a souvenir to your visit. Few places to shop include Badshah Chowk, Polo view market, Lal Chowk, etc.
9) Bird watching: The Manasabal lake is a home to various special species of birds that you can get to watch when you are in Srinagar. Experiencing beauty also includes experiencing such beautiful views through activities like bird-watching.
10) Horse-riding: Horse-riding is another adventure activity that one can engage in while on a visit to the city of Srinagar.
11) Rafting: Water rafting and enjoying through the water ride is another spectacular experience in the city. Sonmarg which is also known as the Meadow of Gold is one such places which is famous for water rafting.
12) Worship and engage in spirituality: The city is not only known for its beauty but also for its various shrine including both Hindu and Islamic that are ancient and so calm to engage in spirituality or for worshipping. While in Srinagar, one must visit the various shrines to not only appreciate its beauty, but to also understand the interesting history behind each of such ancient shrines.
Srinagar is a perfect holiday or vacation spot for you to enjoy. There are so many different places to visit in Srinagar, cuisines to taste, and activities to do. Srinagar tourism is an enjoyable and fun experience for all. The experience in Srinagar, according to all who have visited the city, is memorable and unforgettable. The places to visit in Srinagar include green gardens and beautiful lakes, making you get in touch with the delight and magnificence of nature.
Mahindra Holidays & Resorts India Limited (MHRIL), India’s leading player in the leisure hospitality industry, offers quality family holidays as also stated by Club Mahindra Resort Reviews, primarily through vacation ownership memberships. While Club Mahindra is the flagship brand offering Club Mahindra Membership the other brands offered by the company are – Club Mahindra Resorts Fundays and Svaastha Spa. As on Mar 31, 2019, MHRIL has 61+ resorts across India and abroad and its subsidiary, Holiday Club Resorts Oy, Finland, a leading vacation ownership company in Europe has 33 resorts across Finland, Sweden and Spain. Visit us at www.clubmahindra.com
What is famous in Srinagar?
Srinagar is known for a plethora of things such as boat rides, scrumptious food, historical gardens, wooden handicrafts, spices and dry fruits, and so much more!
Is Srinagar worth visiting?
Yes, absolutely! There are so many things to do and places to visit in Srinagar that will make your family holiday fun and memorable. From historical and cultural sites to incredible food opportunities, you will absolutely love visiting Srinagar!
What food is famous in Srinagar?
Since you will be visiting the summer capital of Jammu & Kashmir, expect to feast on a vibrant and flavoursome array of dishes such as Rogan Josh, Yakhni Pulao, Kehwa, Noon Chai, Sheermal, Shab Daig, Rajma, Aloo Dum and Goshtaba. The food here is more meat-centric but there are a few vegetarian dishes that you must try. When in Srinagar, you must also try the Wazwan.
How expensive is Srinagar?
For two people travelling to Srinagar and staying there for a week, the total cost will come up to 30-35k, depending on the accommodations, transportation for travelling, food, shopping, places to visit in Srinagar, etc.
How many days are enough for Srinagar?
3N/4D are enough for exploring Srinagar’s beauty and many historical and cultural sites.
What are the best day trips from Srinagar?
Gulmarg, Budgam, Avantipur, Pulwama, Sonmarg and Anantnag are some of the best day trips from Srinagar.
What are the best Srinagar sightseeing places to visit in Srinagar with family?
Some of the best places to visit in Srinagar include Dal Lake, Shalimar Bagh, Anantnag, Char Chinar, Wular Lake, Burzhama Ruins, Apple Orchards and Dachigam National Park.
What should I buy in Srinagar?
Pashminas, spices, dry fruits, carpets, copper vessels, wooden artifacts and Kashmiri tea are some of the things you must buy in Srinagar.
What are the amenities provided in the resorts in Srinagar?
Indulge in comforts and special luxuries that you deserve. Rest your mind and body in the spacious, thoughtfully designed rooms. Catch up on social media with Wi-Fi. While our Svaastha Spa takes away all the weariness at one go. Relish sumptuous delicacies and unwind at our multi-cuisine restaurant and bar. Kindly note, the amenities mentioned here may vary from resort to resort. Please call our Front Desk before booking.
Are resorts in Srinagar Covid-19 Safe?
Yes, absolutely! Club Mahindra Srinagar resorts make sure that guests enjoy their #CMSafeStay without having to worry at all about the health and hygiene aspects. Club Mahindra has partnered with Bureau Veritas to ensure that every resort is cleaned and sanitised regularly.
Do resorts in Srinagar have free parking?
Yes, there is complimentary parking at the resort for guests.
Do any family resorts in Srinagar have a spa on-site?
Yes, Club Mahindra Srinagar family resorts have a spa on-site.
Which resorts in Srinagar have rooms with a private balcony?
At Club Mahindra Srinagar resorts, rooms come with private balconies so that you can soak in the beautiful surroundings.