Authentic Goan Seafood Curry – A Must-try Recipe for All
Goa is known for its delicious seafood dishes. The generous use of local ingredients like coconut and indigenous spices gives these dishes a distinct flavour, colour, and taste. Among all the seafood preparations from Goa, the seafood curry holds a special place in the hearts of locals and tourists. It is a dish that fills the heart!
This recipe by Chef Alex Dias, the Executive Chef at Club Mahindra Varca resort in Goa, is one of the most authentic seafood curry recipes you will find. As a Goan himself, Chef Dias understands the quintessential coastal flavours of Goa, and he combines all his experience and expertise in making this recipe.
You can try his recipe at home, and rest assured your family will absolutely love it!
· Squids (50 gm)
· Prawns (50 gm)
· Kingfish (50 gm)
· Crab meat (50 gm)
· Drumstick (50 gm)
· Okra (50 gm)
· Grated Coconut (100 gm)
· Red Chillies (15 gm)
· Tamarind (30 gm)
· Turmeric powder (10 gm)
· Cumin (5 gm)
· Ginger and garlic (50 gm each)
· Finely diced onions (100 gm)
· Finely diced tomatoes (75 gm)
· Lemon juice (10 ml)
· Oil (100 ml)
· Clean and wash the fish, marinate them with salt, turmeric, and lemon juice, and keep them aside.
· Clean and cut all the vegetables – Okra and drumsticks
· Soak the onions, tomatoes, and tamarind in warm water
· Grind the remaining ingredients and make a smooth paste
· In a cooking pan, heat the oil and add tomatoes and the masala paste
· Add little water and let bring the masala to boil
· Once the masala is cooked well, add the vegetables and the fish and mix well
· Let all the ingredients combine well with the masala and cook well
· Finally, add the tamarind and simmer for a few minutes
· Serve the delicious Goan Seafood curry with a side of piping hot Goan rice
Goan seafood curry is the perfect combination of sweet, tangy, and a hint of sweetness. There are hundreds of variations of seafood curries, and you can add your twist to it to suit your palate. Also, instead of Kingfish, you can use any fish you want; Pomfret or Rawas would be excellent alternatives.
At Club Mahindra resorts, we strive to give our patrons a delightful culinary experience. The chefs at the restaurants in our resorts bring with them years of experience and expertise. They have a deep understanding of flavour profiles, and every dish they create is nutritious and high in flavour and taste.
Our chefs also source the best regional ingredients and use the latest culinary techniques to make every meal unforgettable! While holidaying at the Club Mahindra resorts in Goa, you can enjoy a delicious meal every day, including local delicacies like the Seafood Curry.
As they say, ‘your destiny is written at birth,’ Chef Alex Rexon Dias was destined to be a chef. Born and raised in Goa, Chef Dias discovered his cooking skills and passion when he won the best dish award during a school camp when the students had to cook for their teachers. Since then, he has come a long way to become one of our finest chefs.
With over 15 years of experience, Chef Dias has travelled far and wide to explore new cuisine worldwide and add new skills, techniques, and dishes to his repertoire. The Iconic Chef of the Year Award by Times of India is a testament to his excellent skills in the kitchen. Currently, the Executive Chef at Club Mahindra Goa, Chef Dias, has been stirring up a storm in the kitchen and delighting the guests with incredible local and international dishes.